Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gestalt Theory

     The Gestalt theory is based off of the notion humans are growth-oriented. (Murdock, 2013) "Humans can't be separated  from their environments, nor can they be divided into parts (such as body and mind)." (Murdock, 2013) In Gestalt theory human behavior is motivated  by the drive to satisfy needs. The Gestalt Therapist is to frustrate the client's avoidance of self-support. The client is confronted with their attempts to get the counselor to take care of them and their reluctance to be authentic.  (Murdock, 2013) Confrontation plays a huge role in the Gestalt theory and that's what I think makes it effective.

     Personally, I really enjoy the Gestalt theory. The fact that the therapist in this theory is upfront and blunt to their client fits my personality. I believe that the theory is also very effective. It may hurt the client's feelings or not be sensitive but some people need that in order to break through to them. One of the big techniques in this theory is the empty chair technique and I believe this is a good technique. It helps the client practice what they want to say to someone who has hurt them in the past, depending on their reason why they are in counseling. While they are acting out this technique it also helps them hear what they are saying and can help the client realize what is wrong with them and not just having the counselor say it to them blatantly. I could see myself using this theory a lot and make it my primary theory.

This is an example of the empty chair technique:



No comments:

Post a Comment